The best of Far West Nepal
16 days / 15 nights
This tour is ideal for people who want to go ‘off the beaten track’ in Nepal where other tourists hardly come, but where the nature and culture is fascinating.
- Full day jeepsafari and full day jungle walk Bardia National Park
- Bicycle or jeep tour on the countryside
- Sleeping in a treehouse
- 2 days hiking and rafting in the Karnali-Bheri river area
- 7 days / 6 nights trekking Khaptad National Park
- Full day jeep safari Shuklaphanta National Park
Day 1 – Arrival day
- You can take a plane from Kathmandu to Nepalgunj airport and from there we drive you in 2 hours by comfortable AC jeep to our home.
- Or you arrive today by bus or jeep from Pokhara, Kathmandu, Lumbini, Tansen or an other place in Nepal or India.
- If you arrive in the morning you have time in the afternoon to explore the countryside and visit the elephant breeding center.
Day 2 – Tharu villages and sleeping in a treehouse
- In the morning you can relax and sit in our garden.
- Around noon you leave with your guide by bicycle or by jeep for a tour on the countryside.
- You will enjoy at a local Tharu home a lovely Tharu lunch.
- After the lunch you will follow ‘The trail of the rhino’ during a 2 hours jungle walk in the community forest.
- After the walk you will have dinner and sleep in a treehouse where you can enjoy a beautiful sunset and sunrise.
Day 3 – Full day jeep safari Bardia National Park
- In the morning we pick you up by jeep at the treehouse and drive you to Bardia National Park (around 6 km).
- A full day jeep safari takes you further into the jungle of Bardia.
- You see the various landscapes of the midwest and northwest part of the park.
- You will stop a riverbanks and waterholes to wait for animals.
Day 4 – Full day jungle walk Bardia National Park
- A jungle walk is a great way to discover the south west part of Bardia National Park.
- You walk along small tracks, cross rivers and sit at watchtowers and riverbanks to wait for the animals to move to the river to drink.
- The total walking distance is between 15- 20 km.
Day 5 – Follow the Karnali – Bheri river day 1
- Time to explore the gorgeous Karnali and Bheri river area with its deep gorges, beautiful beaches and remote and authentic villages.
- You leave after breakfast by jeep. After 1,5 hour your reach the starting point for your walking trek.
- Today you follow the Karnali river and cross the Bheri river by suspension brigde.
- You will sleep in a homestay close to the river where you can have a refreshing swim.
Day 6 – Follow the Karnali – Bheri river day 2
- Today you will raft down on the Karnali river all the way down to Chisapani bridge.
- You will stop on the way to have a lunch or to enjoy a refreshing swim.
- In the afternoon you will drive back from Chisapani to Bardia Homestay
Day 7 – Rest day
Day 8 – Start of your 7 days / 6 nights trekking Khaptad National Park
- On a well paved road you drive in 10-11 hours along steep mountain ridges with great views of the 3,000 – to 4,000-metre peaks and the green valleys along the Seti river.
- Sleeping at a homestay in Jhingrana the starting point of your Khaptad National Park.
Day 9 – Trekking Khaptad National Park to Bichpani
- From Jhingrana (2.250 meter) a strong climb to Bichpani (2.900 meter) is waiting for you. You walk on a narrow mountain path up through mainly rhodondendron forest.
- Duration 4-5 hours
- Bichpani is located in the forest and you sleep in a simple lodge where the owner prepares your food on a firestove.
Day 10 – Trekking Khaptad National Park to Khaptad Camp
- On the way from Bichpani (2.900 meter) to Khaptad Camp (3.100 meter) you walk through bamboo forest and beautiful rolling grassland plateaus, with fast flowing rivers. On the way you will meet many shepherds with their cows, sheep and goats.
- Duration 3-4 hours
- Khaptad Camp is surrounded by rolling grassland and pine forest.
Day 11 – Trekking Khaptad National Park around Khaptad Camp
- Today, you’ll explore the surrounding area of the Khaptad camp. You can visit the small museum and the temple of Khaptad Baba and the beautiful lake of ‘Khaptad Daha’. In addition, you will climb to a view point where on a clear day the white peaks of the Himalayas can be seen.
Day 12 – Trekking Khaptad National Park to Lokhoda
- After breakfast you walk up to the northwest corner of the park, through the forest with lots of rhododendrons. During the trek you will have magnificent views of the Himalayas and remote villages. The trek has some steep descents.
- You walk from 3.100 to 2.500 meter. Duration 4-5 hours.
Day 13 – Trekking Khaptad National Park to Tamil
- Today is already your last day in Khaptad National Park.
- You walk from Lokhoda (2.500 meter) to Darugaun (1.740 meter) with views on the Himalaya and valleys
- Duration 4-5 hours.
- From Darugaun a jeep will drive you in 1,5 hour to Tamil near the Seti river.
- From there a comfortable jeep will bring to your guesthouse.
Day 14 – By road from Tamil to Shuklaphanta National Park
- Today you drive in 7 hours on a well paved road through the mountains back to the lowlands of the Terai.
- You will sleep near Shuklaphanta National Park.
Day 15 – Full day jeepsafari Shuklaphanta National Park
- Today you will explore Shuklaphanta National Park by jeep. The jeep will bring you to different view spots in the grassland and to small lakes like Rana Tal.
- An ideal park to spot many species of birds and the endangered swamp deer.
Day 16 – Departure day
- A jeep will bring you in 1,5 hour from Shuklaphanta National Park to Dhangadhi airport where a flight will bring you back to Kathmandu.
We can make a special proposal for you for this tour which is based on the following:
- Transport by jeep from airport Nepalgunj or any other place in Nepal to Bardia Homestay.
- 5 nights accommodation in Bardia Homestay.
- 6 nights accommodation Khaptad National Park trekking
- 2 nights accommodation Shuklaphanta National Park
- 1 night Treehouse
- 1 night homestay Karnali river
- The activities mentioned in the itinerary.
- Breakfast, lunch or lunch packages and dinner.
- Unlimited drinking water and black tea.
- Entrance fees and permits for Bardia National Park, Khaptad National Park and Shuklphanta National Park.
- Professional English speaking guide inside Bardia National Park, Khaptad National Park and Shuklaphanta National Park.
- Porter (s) inside Khaptad National Park
- Extra costs for alcoholic beverages and refreshing drinks
- Extra cost for snacks and other food not mentioned.
- Emergency transportation and evacuation or cost for unpredictable circumstances; travellers visit Bardia National Park at their own risk.
- Travel- and health insurance; participants need to have a travel insurance .
- International and local flights
- Visum fee
What to bring and to wear
- Check our Travel Checklist Bardia
- Wear clothes with colours that match with the colours of the jungle (green, brown, grey)