Impressive nature in Bardia and Khaptad National Park
11 days / 10 nights
Our home is a good basecamp to to combine a visit to Bardia National Park with a visit to Khaptad National Park. A combination of spotting wildlife and walking on a plateau with green rolling hills with splendid views on the Himalaya.
- Spotting wildlife and impressive nature in remote West Nepal.
- Full day jeepsafari and full day jungle walk Bardia National Park.
- Bicycle or jeep tour on the countryside and Tharu cooking workshop.
- 7 days / 6 nights trekking Khaptad National Park.
Day 1 – Arrival day
- You can take a plane from Kathmandu to Nepalgunj airport and from there we drive you in 2 hours by comfortable AC jeep to our home.
- Or you arrive today by bus or jeep from Pokhara, Kathmandu, Lumbini, Tansen or an other place in Nepal or India.
- If you arrive in the morning you have time in the afternoon to explore the countryside and visit the elephant breeding center.
Day 2 – Full day jungle walk Bardia National Park
- A walk is a great way to discover the south west part of Bardia National Park.
- You walk along small tracks, cross rivers and sit at watchtowers and riverbanks to wait for the animals to move to the river to drink.
- The total walking distance is between 15- 20 km.
Day 3 – Full day jeep safari Bardia National Park
- A full day jeep safari takes you further into the jungle of Bardia
- You see the various landscapes of the midwest and northwest part of the park
- You will stop a riverbanks and waterholes
Day 4 – Tharu villages and countryside
- In the morning you can relax on the veranda in front of your room.
- After lunch you leave with your guide by bicycle or by jeep for a tour on the countryside.
- In the local community forest you will ‘follow the trail of the rhino’ during a 2 hours jungle walk.
- After the walk you will visit the elephant breeding center and return to Bardia Homestay.
- At the end of the afternoon you visit a local Tharu home where you learn how to cook delicious Tharu food.
Day 5 – Start of your 7 days / 6 nights trekking Khaptad National Park
- On a well paved road you drive in 6 hours from the lowland to the hills in Dadeldhura district.
- In the afternoon you can enjoy a walk in the hills at an altitude of 1000 – 2000 meters
- Just 5 km south from the bazaar in Dadeldhura you spend the night in a cosy treehouse.
Day 6 – Trekking Khaptad National Park to Bichpani
- In the morning you drive from Dadeldhura in 4 hours to Jhingrana, the entrance gate of Khaptad National Park. On the way you enjoy great views of the 3.000 and 4.000 metre peaks and the green valleys along the Seti river.
- In the afternoon you start to walk. From Jhingrana it is a strong climb to Bichpani. You walk from an altitude of 2.250 meter to 2.900 meter on a narrow mountain path through mainly rhodondendron forest.
- Duration walk 4-5 hours.
- Bichpani is located in the forest and you sleep in a simple lodge where the owner prepares your food on a firestove.
Day 7 – Trekking Khaptad National Park to Khaptad Camp
- On the way from Bichpani to Khaptad Camp you walk through bamboo forest and beautiful rolling grassland plateaus, with fast flowing rivers. On the way you will meet many shepherds with their cows, sheep and goats.
- You rise this day from 2.900 to 3.100 meter. Duration walk is 3-4 hours.
- Khaptad Camp is surrounded by rolling grassland and pine forest.
Day 8 – Trekking inside Khaptad National Park around Khaptad Camp
- Today, you’ll explore the surrounding area of the Khaptad camp. You can visit the small museum and the temple of Khaptad Baba and the beautiful lake of ‘Khaptad Daha’. In addition, you will climb to a view point, where on a clear day the white peaks of the Himalayas can be seen.
Day 9 – Trekking inside Khaptad National Park to Lokhoda
- After breakfast you walk up to the northwest corner of the park, through the forest with lots of rhododendrons. During the trek you will have magnificent views of the Himalayas and remote villages. The trek has some steep descents.
- You descend from 3.100 to 2.500 meter. Duration 4-5 hours.
Day 10 – Trekking inside Khaptad National Park to Tamil and Khodpe
- Today is already your last day in Khaptad National Park.
- You walk from Lokhoda to Darugaun with views on the Himalaya and valleys.
- You walk down from 2.500 meter to 1.740 meter. Duration 4-5 hours.
- From Darugaun a jeep will drive you in 1,5 hour to Tamil near the Seti river.
- From there a comfortable jeep will bring you to your guesthouse in Khodpe (duration 4 hours)
Day 11 – From Khodpe to the lowlands
- Today you drive on a well paved road through the mountains back to the lowlands of the Terai.
- On the way we will make a stop at the colourful temple ‘Ugratara’ in Dadeldhura.
- You can stay in Dhangadhi (6 hours from Khodpe) and fly the next morning to Kathmandu or you drive today back to Bardia Homestay (8 hours from Khodpe)
We can make a special proposal for you for this tour which is based on the following:
- Transport by jeep from airport Nepalgunj or any other place in Nepal to Bardia Homestay.
- Transport by jeep from Bardia Homestay to Kaptad National Park and back.
- Activities mentioned in the itinerary
- 4 nights accommodation in Bardia Homestay.
- 6 nights accomodation in and near Khaptad National Park.
- Breakfast, lunch or lunch packages and dinner.
- Unlimited drinking water and black tea.
- Entrance fees and permits for Bardia and Khaptad National Park
- Professional English speaking guide.
- Porter (s) inside Khaptad National Park.
- Extra costs for alcoholic beverages and refreshing drinks
- Extra cost for snacks and other food not mentioned.
- Emergency transportation and evacuation or cost for unpredictable circumstances; travellers visit Bardia National Park at their own risk.
- Travel- and health insurance; participants need to have a travel insurance .
- International and local flights
- Visum fee
What to bring and to wear
- Check our Travel Checklist Bardia and Nepal
- Wear clothes with colours that match with the colours of the jungle (green, brown, grey)